Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is the most important flavoring. Glutamate is the main flavoring substance. Monosodium glutamate is a colorless or white crystal or crystalline powder. Monosodium glutamate not only has no fresh taste, but also has a special fishy smell. Only with the participation of salt can it show its fresh taste. So there are the following and some taboos when eating MSG.
- Do not use monosodium glutamate in alkaline or strong acid solution. Because in the alkaline solution, monosodium glutamate not only has no fresh taste, but also has a bad smell. Because monosodium glutamate is the chemical component of monosodium glutamate, it produces disodium glutamate in alkaline solution, which makes monosodium glutamate lose its flavor. In addition, monosodium glutamate in strong acid solution, solubility is very small, so the taste is very small. Therefore, only when the pH value of the dish solution is 6-7, that is to say, the solubility of monosodium glutamate in the weak acid solution is the largest and the flavor effect is the best.
- Monosodium glutamate should not be used at low temperature. Because monosodium glutamate is not easy to dissolve under low temperature, if monosodium glutamate is added directly when making cold dishes, it is difficult to dissolve monosodium glutamate, and its fresh taste will not volatilize. It is better to dissolve it with warm boiled water, then cool it and pour it into the cold dishes.
- Monosodium glutamate should not be used at high temperature. When monosodium glutamate is heated in high temperature, it is easy to make monosodium glutamate to form scorched mustard monosodium glutamate, which is toxic to human body and even carcinogenic. The temperature of the general cooking dish will not exceed 100 ℃, which has no effect on monosodium glutamate. However, when cooking fried dishes, the temperature can be as high as 200 ℃, or when cooking roasted smoked dishes, the temperature can be as high as 250 ℃, which can produce poisons when using MSG in these two states. If the common cooking food is heated for a long time, there is no toxic substance produced by monosodium glutamate, but the solubility of monosodium glutamate is the best at 70-90 ℃, so the temperature limit of monosodium glutamate should be paid attention to.
- Monosodium glutamate should not be used too much. Monosodium glutamate is a kind of nutritive substance, but if it is added and let go too much, it will produce a kind of strange taste like salty and non salty, astringent and non astringent, which affects people’s appetite. Recently, it has also been found that children and adolescents who eat more monosodium glutamate will decompose monosodium glutamate into more glutamic acid in the body, which will affect the absorption of zinc in the body, resulting in slow intellectual development, especially young people who are developing brain nerves should eat less monosodium glutamate, and infants are better not to eat monosodium glutamate. Monosodium glutamate can only play a role of increasing freshness, flavor and nutrition if it is eaten properly in life. According to adult regulations, it is better to eat no more than 0.12g per kilogram of body weight per person per day.
- Monosodium glutamate should be kept away from dampness. Monosodium glutamate is easy to absorb moisture in the air due to its sodium chloride content, which makes it inconvenient to use, but it does not affect the quality of monosodium glutamate, but it will deteriorate and have peculiar smell when it is caked for a long time. Therefore, monosodium glutamate should be stored in a dry and ventilated place, so as not to get damp. It’s best to use a covered vessel to store it.
Monosodium glutamate is not so much a concoction as a nourishment. The amino acids consumed by human brain labor are mostly glutamic acid. Therefore, moderate intake of monosodium glutamate can nourish the brain, and has a therapeutic effect on liver disease, neurasthenia and gastric acid deficiency. As long as we pay attention to the taboo when eating monosodium glutamate, it can make monosodium glutamate really become a seasoning beneficial to human health in life.